By Lorin Jackson and Frankie Snow
From PHN Issue 42, Spring 2020
Handwashing can help prevent the spread of COVID-19. Here are some tips for handwashing:
- Wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Make sure you rub all hand surfaces with soap, including thumbs, fingertips, and backs of hands.
- Dry with a paper towel if possible, and use that to turn the water off.
- Always wash your hands before and after eating, and after coughing, sneezing, blowing your nose, or being in a crowded area.
- If soap and water are not available, use hand sanitizer that contains 70% alcohol or more.
- It is believed that the virus enters the body through the eyes, nose, or mouth. Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.